Landscape Under Your Bird Feeder In Under 1 Hour & Say Good-Bye to the Mess!
You want to landscape under your bird feeder because it’s an ugly mess. Birdseed weeds are sprouting everywhere and globs of yucky old birdseed lie beneath the feeder waiting to make a bird sick.
Today I’d like to share with you a cool and simple landscaping design for under your bird feeder you can complete in under one hour. I call the design “Ring Around the Bird Feeder”.
I’ve been attracting wild birds to my yard for over 20 years. Early on I struggled with how to keep under the bird feeder clean and compliment the landscape vibe throughout my yard. I tried many ideas and am sharing my favorite one with you today.
Why Landscape Under Your Bird Feeder
When we invite wild birds to our feeders we become responsible for many things including keeping the area under the bird feeders clean. Bird seed and other debris can build up and either get moldy or sprout.
Moldy seed can make our feathered friends sick – we must prevent that. And sprouts are just plain ugly. Am I right?
When I designed my Ring Around The Bird Feeder landscape solution I had two goals in mind.
Goal #1: To make the job of cleaning the mess under the bird feeder easy and fast.
Goal #2: To make the area under my bird feeder attractive – at all times.
Materials to Landscape Under Your Bird Feeder
- Tree ring (or landscape fabric)
- Landscape rocks
Optional: Landscape edging.
Tree rings are round landscaping materials that surround established trees. They come in different forms such as plastic and rubber.
It’s important to choose a ring that allows water to pass through, but not the birdseed debris.
Tree rings come in a variety of sizes so be sure to select one with a diameter outside the size of your bird feeder area if possible.
If you are unable to find a tree ring suitable for this project (e.g. you need it to cover a larger area) you may also follow the alternative approach – landscape fabric and edging.
Alternative to Tree Ring: Landscape Fabric
Landscape fabric can be used for this project as well but takes a little bit more time as you’ll need to cut it and (optionally) edge around it.
Any type of landscape fabric will do but the wider fabric will be easier because you won’t need to piece it together to cover the area. The fabric’s job here is to allow water to flow through, prevent dirt and other organic elements from congregating and hold the landscape rocks.
Optional: Landscape Edging
If your tree ring does not come with built-in edging or you’re using landscape fabric, I recommend edging around the area.
Not only does landscape edging makes the area attractive by holding the landscape fabric in one contained area, but it also keeps the birdseed debris in one area for cleaning. More on cleaning later.
The skies are the limit when it comes to edging options. There’s rubber, plastic, stone, and any variation of each.
Mulching around the area is icing on the cake and gives you a professional appearance.
Landscape rocks are the key to this project because they allow you to easily clean under the bird feeder. Note: My cleaning method entails the use of a shop vac to suck up and dispose of the unwanted bird seed debris. More on that later.
- Pebbles and gravel are too light.
- Lava rocks are too light.
- Field stones are too large – too much of the bird seed debris may get trapped beneath them and not get sucked up by shop vac.
- Landscape rocks between 1″ and 3″ are just right! They’re small enough to expose the bird seed debris so it all gets vacuumed up yet heavy enough that they don’t get sucked up themselves.
I opted for a multi-colored blend of 1-1/2 – 2″ landscape rocks that I picked up at my local home improvement store. If you’re unable to get out to the store, check out the above rocks on Amazon.
Your layer of rocks should only be enough to cover the tree ring or fabric, otherwise, birdseed debris will get trapped at the bottom.
The rocks I used came bags of “1/2 cubic foot” each. I only needed 2 bags to fill my 38″ tree guard.
How to Landscape Under Your Bird Feeder with the “Ring Around The Bird Feeder” Design
Step 1: Clean Under the Bird Feeder
First, you need to thoroughly clean under the bird feeder to make way for your tree ring or landscape fabric and landscape rocks. I created a detailed process for this. Don’t worry, it’s fast and easy. How to Clean the Mess Under Your Bird Feeder.
When you’re done with cleaning under the bird feeder, come back for step 2.
Step 2: Lay down the Tree Ring (or landscape fabric)
It’s really that simple. Just lay the tree ring down around the bird feeder area.
If using landscape fabric, cut a round piece of it and place it around the bird feeder area. If you have a narrow fabric you may need to piece it together to make a large round area. Remember, you want to catch all seeds falling from above and the wind may carry it a bit.
If using an edge-less tree ring or landscape fabric, install the edging.
Step 3: Fill with landscape rocks
Open your bags of rocks and fill the tree ring or fabric area. Completed “Ring Around The Bird Feeder” landscape design.
That’s it! You now have a beautiful area under your bird feeder area.
Even better, it’s the foundation for easily keeping the area under the bird feeder clean. Refer to the Maintenance section of my How to Clean Under Your Bird Feeder article for details on this simple process.
The Best Bird Seed for 2022
Are you aware that various bird species can consume by up to ten thousand calories per day? Then, this means that backyard bird feeders, as well as the best bird seeds, are an advantageous supplement for wild birds’ relentless feeding requirements.
In addition to this, many of us are insightful of the fact that birds commonly spend most of their time searching madly for food to satisfy their needs and also the needs of their mini nestlings. Hence, this clearly implies that getting the right kind of food to feed them is quite crucial to take in mind.
More than that, bird feeders are efficient means and easy food sources for various bird species to utilize their finite foraging energy. That said, it is just right for bird enthusiasts to carefully select premium quality bird seeds and other bird food options that shall lure more birds and keep them returning to their place for more delectable meals.
In order for you to lure the greatest variety of birds, it is critical to feed the birds the kind of seeds they love to consume. Continue reading the rest of the article and see for yourself the many factors and product reviews that you need to consider when you are feeding varieties of birds to keep them coming back for more!
Best Bird Seed Reviews
1. Wagner’s 62059 Greatest Variety Blend
If you would like to attract diverse kinds of birds like Finches, Cardinals, Sparrows, Jays, Titmice, Chickadees and Woodpeckers, then this bird seed brand is the perfect pick for you!
This product is known for being the best mix or blends bird food that could seduce plenty of diverse and colorful songbirds. For a fact, it is considered the most superior quality grains utilized in blending. Birds will certainly love this gourmet blend that comes with a total of 11 varieties of ingredients where 40% of it contains sunflower. You can feed the birds with the aid of platform feeders, hopper or a tube.
Surprisingly, this brand has just the precise amount of different kinds of seeds that could help your bird feeder seduce more local birds for a delightful feast.
- A great blend for a wide variety of birds
- Most popular premixed blend
- Capable of attracting more bird species to land and eat
- Has the tendency to be infested with moths
- Comes with lots of white and red millet
- Slightly expensive
Overall, Wagner’s 62059 Greatest Variety Blend comes with an excellent mix of seeds and peanuts that various bird species will definitely like! Once you put some on the feeders, you will see that different birds are attracted to land and gobble the seeds up very fast. However, it is a bit disappointing to see some moths and infestation in the food especially when the bird seeds are stored for a few weeks.
Still, this birdseed brand can work like a magnet for cool birds in your garden, backyard or landscape. If you wish to enjoy a very fascinating sight to view how the birds behave when they are in the feeding bowls, then put these bird seeds in the feeders. Being regarded as one of the best bird foods, this variety blend is absolutely highly recommendable.
2. Lyric 2647413 Fruit & Nut High Energy Wild Bird Mix
If you are in search of the best wild bird seed that comes with a gourmet blend of ingredients, then this option is ideal for your search! It comes with a total of 13 premium organic ingredients that are sure to entice robins, titmice, orioles, grosbeaks, chickadees, towhees, buntings, Cedar Waxwings, Cardinals, Blue Jays, and nuthatches.
This worth every single penny you pay for it because there are no fillers for less waste. Many bird enthusiasts prefer this brand since it is highly recognized for being a high-energy wild bird mix that contains a gourmet blend of finely select seeds, fruits, as well as shell-free nuts.
What makes this brand a good choice for your feathered friends is that it is formulated with various natural ingredients like dried fruits, raisins, shell-free seeds and nuts, cranberries and cherries. As you can see, a mix of seeds, fruits, and nuts will definitely invite more birds to feed in the bird feeders and stay long in your garden or backyard.
Since many of the nuts contained in this package are quite large, it is necessary to do some chopping prior to loading the feeder especially if you have frequent tiny birds that land and eat in the bird feeders that you prepare. This is to ensure that small birds are protected when consuming nuts and seeds.
- An excellent quality product that’s loaded with lots of whole, fresh- looking nuts, fruits, and seeds and has no fillers
- Different varieties of birds love this seed mix
- Contains all natural ingredients
- Not pocket-friendly
- Moldy and could be too big for feeders
- Ideal for big birds but not highly recommendable for small birds
This is truly a very premium grade of food for woodpeckers and a few other birds like House Wrens and Chickadees- these are the types of birds that are mostly addicted to this type of bird food.
The product looks exceptionally sumptuous when you open the bag, no wonder why a lot of birds are easily attracted to consume this food. It is safe to say that this brand can cover all your backyard feather friends and visitors!
3. Kaytee Waste Free Bird Seed Blend
Would you like to feed your feathered buddies with high-quality food that is 100% consumable? Then, consider this bird food brand in your bird’s food list! This is a concentrated type of food that can last for longer periods which means there is no need for you to fill the bird feeders quite often. In like manner, this birdseed is ideal for outdoor wild birds.
Truth is, there will be a slight waste with this brand; however, not as much with the regular bird seeds. You will love the fact that it is capable of bringing an outstanding variety of birds to the feeder.
This blend is ideal for feeders located over concrete or regions that are hard to reach for the purpose of cleaning up the mess commonly left behind by the birds when they shell the seeds. It is a bit costly; nevertheless, closely observing the birds at the feeders and listening to their chirps and hums are all worth it in the end.
- Good for small finches
- A nice blend of bird seed that won’t spoil your backyard, garden or patio
- Less waste so frequent cleaning up is not necessary
- Excellent food mix for Wren, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Doves, and Woodpeckers
- Works great for those who utilize an open entry style window feeders
- The package comes with plenty of dried cracked corn inside
- A bit more expensive than the non-waste-free types
The birds love this food and bird enthusiasts will surely have a constant stream of tiny birds and finches enjoyably eating at their feeders all day long. Also, you will find this brand a wise purchase because there is certainly no shell mess for you to deal with and there is no need to worry that a shelled seed will be blown by the wind or dropped somewhere it could germinate.
Be that as it may, in the event that various birds species get so addicted consuming such bird food –you need to accept the fact that there is a possibility that you will need to refill it every other day.
4. Wagner’s 76027 Black Oil Sunflower
Are you eyeing to entice a broad range of songbirds such as Woodpeckers, Finches, Chickadees, Nuthatches, and Cardinals? Then, you need not search elsewhere because the perfect bird food option for you is Wagner’s Black Oil Sunflower Seed.
This product contains 100% oil sunflower seed that comes with premium quality energy content. When feeding your backyard visitors, it is a must to use hopper, tubular or tray feeders to ensure that they have a delightful gourmet seed to share with each other.
Bird feeders and enthusiasts prefer this product because it is extra clean. It comes with a thin-shelled sunflower so birds won’t have a hard time consuming them. No wonder why it is known for being one of the best bird seeds for Cardinals!
It is delighting to watch various types of birds as they enjoy eating and cleaning the feeder within a day or two. Once you started filling the feeders with sunflower seeds, you will love the sight of a non-stop visit from your feathered buddies!
- Capable of attracting a broad array of birds
- The most superior quality grains are utilized for this product
- Contains high energy content that different bird species need in order to sustain a healthy lifestyle
- Comes with thin shells for easy consumption
- Filled with sticks, leaves and a few pieces of wood and other debris
- Not good for long storage
Overall, this product is a good choice as it comes with a significant amount of seeds for a reasonable price! While there are traces of some debris and other foreign stuff inside the package, still there are more foods that can be consumed by your bird buddies.
Likewise, black oil seed appears to be adept at luring birds to your yard. Birds seem to prefer the seed and enjoy frequent visits in the feeders more often as you begin to fill them with bird food. It is really priceless to watch birds take pleasure in a sumptuous meal and being a source of food of these lovely creatures is actually a great blessing.
5. Shafer Seed Company Safflower Seed
If you are looking to attract more nuthatches, cardinals, sparrows, tufted titmice, chickadees as well as flickers, then this safflower seed brand is the right match for your requirement. Since this seed does not come with shells, it does not cause any mess in your garden, patio or backyard.
Interestingly, doves prefer to get the seeds that are dropped on the ground. A lot of large birds and squirrels are not lured by this type of food.
Safflower bird seeds are good for feeding wild birds. It is essential to note that the bitterness of these types of seeds make wild birds appealing to squirrels and fortunately most birds do not mind the acridity of these seeds.
What is more, the fact that this product is capable of seducing more varsities of birds to visit and eat in your place is something to love especially for bird enthusiasts out there. For sure, you’ll love the relaxing view outside your window.
This item is useful for making your own bird food. If you will compute carefully, it is less expensive than purchasing Nyjer, and sunflower pieces, take note this type of seed will surely be enjoyed by your backyard visitors.
- A great deal on high-quality seed
- Deemed as the most efficient food for tiny birds
- There are no fillers or shells
- 100% organic seed that is grown in the USA
- Perfect addition or alternative to mixed seeds and sunflower seeds
- Tend to be easily infested by moths
- There are commons issues with this product’s packaging, so this should be taken care of
This seed is ideal to spread out seed offerings and it can be easily mixed with other kinds of seeds for custom formulations. It is worth mentioning that cardinals truly love consuming safflower seeds.
What makes it a good choice is that it can feed your birds well without the need to hurt your pocket! The bag is very heavy and it is a great deal considering the amount of seed that you will get. Therefore, this is highly recommendable for bird feeders and enthusiasts on a budget.
6. Wagner’s 62050 Nyjer Seed Bird Foods
If you are into Finches particularly the Goldfinch, then this birdseed brand will work great for you. This product contains a total of 150,000 seeds per pound which is ample enough to satisfy your feathered friends. It is packaged with a Velcro press lock that makes it even more convenient to use when feeding your favorite birds.
In like manner, it comes with extra tidy seed that could provide premium, energy content for your most preferred songbirds. This product contains 100% Nyjer seed that comes with high protein and fat content. It is perfect for use in Finch feeders that have small perches and tiny holes.
This brand is of superior quality and it is the best option if you wish Goldfinches to have a good meal in your garden or backyard.
- Birds will love its fresh scent
- Capable of easily luring finches like Pine Siskin, Purple Finch, American Goldfinch and other tiny songbirds
- The quality is consistent with the smaller bags
- The Nyjer or thistle comes in dull brown color and there were many debris and sticks on it
- Has the tendency to become easily dry and stale
- The price seems a little high
This product comes with an easy-to-lock feature that requires bird feeders to pull it to open and then zip it to close. Indeed, it comes with a chart located at the back of the bag that indicates what types of birds prefer various kinds of seeds. As you can see, this is quite helpful especially to bird enthusiasts who are just starting to feed birds.
Take in mind that this bag is generally the best price; however, at times you will uncover that other sizes are less expensive per pound. What matters here is that you try to compare the price every time you make a purchase.
7. Shafer Seed 84075 White Proso Millet Wild Bird Food
In general, one of the most typical and most preferred seeds available on the market nowadays is millet bird seed. As a matter of fact, it is deemed as a universal seed that could be consumed by any breed of seed-eating rodents and birds.
Since it is rich in nutrients and it’s slightly fatty, this product is the most preferred amongst the mentioned creatures- to put simply, it tastes quite delectable for them so they keep craving for it.
Moreover, it is good at diversifying seed offerings. If you wish plenty of birds to come and enjoy the meal, you may consider combining millet seeds with black oil sunflower seeds and then ensure to fill the feeder, then after just a few minutes, you will be delighted seeing various birds coming!
- Premium quality, well-packaged and fresh millet seed
- A first-rate seed that lures a broad array of birds
- Can be instantly combined with other types of seeds for custom formulation
- Formulated with certified 100% organic seed that is grown in the USA
- Bugs can be seen in the seed
- Every type of blackbird is lured to this seed
This millet seed product seems to entice countless birds specifically when combined with other types of seeds. It is quite fresh and you could hardly see any extraneous plant seeds or weeds on it.
On the other hand, it is very engrossing to note that this item also does wonders when it comes to training poultry. With the aid of these seeds, it becomes a lot easier to call birds because they come instantly once you set the feeder.
In a nutshell, this product is a “thumbs up” and is competitively priced. It may be slightly pricey but it surely does the trick of taming guinea hens as well as chickens.
8. Kaytee Spray Millet For Birds
These golden millets will certainly become your feathered friends’ addiction. They could serve as a very luring treat just like giving them sweets to munch on. Once you put some on the feeders, you will have fun watching various birds fight to get them. The millets come in lovely colors and are fresh so birds can’t help but have a bite of them.
What is more, they are quite easy to store and for sure your parakeets will go nuts for this product. Take into consideration that this stuff is not intended to be part of your most favorite birds’ staple diet; nevertheless, it works like a charm for a little treat every other day.
Once you got these red millets, you will see for yourself that the sprays are great and thick with a number of millet branches on them, unlike weak and thin branches that you could obtain with other brands.
- Exceptional for training
- Superior quality product for birds as it contains safe ingredients
- Has the tendency to be stale and dry
- Packaging needs to be improved
- May be considered as a treat but not a daily food
For the most part, this product is a good purchase for birds. This is a low fat treat that doesn’t come with toxic ingredients; therefore, your feathered buddies will delight in consuming them and you’ll be worry-free knowing that what you feed them won’t harm their health.
In terms of price, it absolutely worth the current selling price. It is very reasonably priced compared to other brands. This is highly recommended if you’re looking for a special treat for your birds and other wild birds and when training your favorite feathered buddies. But, be reminded that this is not meant for daily use as the primary food source for your pet birds.
9. Wagner’s 18542 Cracked Corn
This shelled and cracked corn product will definitely be enjoyed by a wide range of ground feeding birds like Grouse, Quail, Blue Jays, Ducks, Cardinals, Pheasants, Doves and Juncos of course. Other creatures who may also find this stuff quite attractive include chipmunks, rabbits and other cheerful wildlife.
It is possible to let your feathered buddies enjoy the cracked corn itself or if you wish you may consider mixing it with other kinds of seeds to make it more delectable. Many bird enthusiasts and feeders feed cracked corn on an isolated approach from their usual bird feeding location so that frisky squirrels and other tiny creatures will have their own area to eat- the purpose here is to divert them from feeding at your bird feeders.
All you need to do is to sprinkle a few cracked corns on the ground where it will be a lot easier for animals and birds to access. This product will help you delight in feeding your pet birds and experience that close to nature feeling that you’re craving for!
- Conveniently packaged
- Clean cracked corn and does not come with plenty of twigs and sticks
- Perfect feed for the wildlife
- There are a few bluish tints to the corn that indicates mold
- It is slightly powdery so for people with allergies, it is advised for you to take extra caution and avoid breathing it in
This product will also be loved by chickens, geese, and ducks. The corn is perfectly cracked and they come in an appropriate size for the birds to take pleasure in. It is nice to add corn to your pet birds’ diet particularly during winter or colder weather conditions for this will absolutely help them gain weight and keep themselves warm.
It’s less expensive as compared to other types of bird foods available in the market at present.
10. Lyric 2647463 Peanut Pieces
If you think that various birds in your backyard are already bored and weary of the kind of foods that you commonly feed them, then perhaps it is high time to consider some changes in their diet. This protein-packed delicacy for your pet birds will assuredly make them go nuts.
As you know, peanut pieces are regarded as very unique treats that could entice a myriad of bird species. Purchasing pieces versus whole nuts can aid you set aside some pennies and time mainly because you are not paying for the shells that your feathered friends won’t consume and there’s no mess to deal with.
Furthermore, the different size pieces also imply a broader variety of birds will be lured to the feeder since there are a lot more morsels to get and go. It is definitely very convenient to use and is formulated with premium quality ingredients.
- No mess and no waste bird foods
- A unique and special treat for feathered friends who keep visiting your garden bird feeders
- A wonderful treat for arboreal birds like chickadees, nuthatches, and titmice
- Works wonders at luring more indigo buntings, bluebirds, woodpeckers, jays, house finches, towhees and grosbeaks
- Capable of providing the necessary nutrients to your feathered buddies
- Not budget-friendly
- Big-sized so it is highly advised to consider chopping them prior to feeding proper
In sum, due to the fact that this product is packed with the necessary protein and fat that birds require and is highly nutritious, it is preferred by a limitless number of bird enthusiasts and feeders- regardless if they’re beginners or even professionals in bird feeding.
It is good to know that nuts aid birds obtain the calories they especially require for various energy-demanding activities. Don’t you think this product is a perfect choice if you are concerned about your pet bird’s health?
11. Morning Song 11974 Dove and Ground Feeding Wild Bird Food
Are you presently looking to lure ground-feeding birds such as juncos, sparrows, quail, and doves? This Morning Song brand is the best option if you wish these types of bird species to stay in your garden or yard for feeding. You may sprinkle directly on the ground or utilize this bird food in table feeders in little amounts that could be consumed within a day.
This product contains ingredients that your bird buddies will love such as white millet, red milo, and black oil sunflower seeds. As you can see, the ingredients it contains are all natural and the type of foods that birds truly like!
If you do not have a spacious living area, this bird food is a good option too as you can freely feed your pet birds in a small balcony. Without doubt, it is comforting to watch mourning doves and pigeons relish in a savory meal every morning or any time of the day. Seeing them loving the food you feed them is absolutely a satisfying feeling whenever you feel tired and bored.
- Deemed as the best feed for mourning doves
- This is the best mix if you’re searching for milo
- Affordable price
- Can cater to various bird species
- The packaging seems easily damaged and torn apart
- It comes with too much millet filler that the birds won’t touch
- Large seeds so you need to chop them if you’re feeding tiny birds
Apart from the bird species mentioned above, some of the other varieties of birds and other animals that will love this bird food include cardinals, woodpeckers, bluebirds, hummingbirds, canary, and squirrels. Evidently, it gives you a warm feeling knowing that you are a great food provider to these wonderful creatures.
So, if you hope to lure every ground feeding bird in your area, this product is the appropriate choice for you.
12. Kaytee 100505655 Mealworms
This mealworm brand is super rich in protein and is famous for being a high energy treat for different bird species. Also, it is a great treat for cardinals, Bluebirds, woodpeckers, Wrens, chickadees, and robins. You can directly feed your pet birds with it or if you wish to have a custom food for them, this product can be mixed with other kinds of seeds that birds will delight in.
What can birds eat besides birdseed? Well, the obvious answer to this question is none other than mealworms. They are a vital source of food for young birds. In reality, this product comes in premium quality since it is oven-dried to keep its freshness and nutrients intact.
Basically, Kaytee mealworms are an outstanding and super-rich protein source for a considerable number of wild birds. These are nutritious food addition that you can prepare for your most cherished feathered buddies.
- An ideal option that comes with super great value
- Perfect food choice for adult bluebirds
- Serves as a very valuable staple item for feeding outdoor birds
- Superb for supplemental feeding of Purple Martins
- First-rate quality freeze-dried mealworms
- Quite costly for everyday food for birds
- At first, birds don’t seem to munch on them but the case significantly changes sooner
This product is a wonderful treat for your feathered buddies. Various types of birds are so addicted to this bird food. Once you open the package, it smells tasty and will certainly lure hungry birds to take a bite immediately.
Besides, they smell of rich protein and you will be amazed by seeing varied bird species to keep coming back to enjoy a good meal that you especially prepare for them every time. Without question, this is a unique treat that your feathered buddies will enjoy and thank you for! However, this is a pricey option for your pet birds’ daily source of food.
13. Wildlife Sciences High Energy Suet
This bird food is good at enticing perching and tree-clinging birds like Juncos, Chickadees, Sparrows, Nuthatches, Blue Jays, Siskins, Woodpeckers, Titmice and Cardinals. It is known for containing high energy suet cakes and its ingredients contain cracked corn, rendered beef suet, processed grain products, and black oil sunflower that various types of birds will find so succulent.
While this item is particularly formulated for woodpeckers, various types of birds love it. If you will observe closely, solely a few birds don’t consume it like a few cardinals that do not even try and doves that cannot get at it. It is interesting to watch every other type of bird seems to prefer it, some too much, such as blackbirds and jays.
In addition, the packaging is very convenient as it is a piece of cake to open and product suits precisely into the wire cage where it is suspended in.
- Excellent food for wild birds and quite easy to prepare
- Comes with superb quality
- Formulated with melt-resistant feature
- The packaging is 100% recyclable
- No mess and easy to open packaging system
- Crumbles easily
- It instantly softens in the heat
- There is a tendency for the pieces to immediately fall through the suet cage
This product is easy to load into the suet feeders; for a fact, you won’t have to worry having your fingers greased up. Varied bird species are lured by this type of food and they munch on them quite fast. It is funny to watch mockingbirds, woodpeckers, and sparrows fight over them.
On top of that, some bird feeders and bird enthusiasts have claimed that this product work wonders when it comes to helping your pet birds gain some weight on tough winter seasons- What do birds eat in the winter? – Well, I haven’t encountered this first-hand so I think this is something that we need to observe as well.
14. Wagner’s 42032 Cardinal Blend Bucket
This cardinal blend is specially formulated to entice various songbirds particularly the Cardinals. It is a tempting feast that contains striped sunflower seeds, black oil sunflower as well as safflower. Almost all bird species love this bird food because it comes with a combination of high oil content seeds that are great for providing the needed energy to keep your pet birds healthy and strong.
It is nice to know that since this item contains safflower seeds, squirrels won’t even try to consume some of it. Wagner’s is one of America’s highly trusted brands so you are guaranteed that you get the real value of your money because a reputable manufacturer formulated this bird food.
Obviously, if you are capable of providing the right food for your feathered friends, then they won’t have any reason to leave your place.
- Rich in sunflower and safflower contents
- Portable and a reusable plastic bucket
- Formulated with a mixture of high oil content seeds
- A type of bird food that almost all bird species will be addicted to
- Too expensive
- Bits of sticks, leaves, and rock and other wastes are also seen and contained in the bucket
What do cardinals eat? This product is highly recommended because it comes with a great seed mix for backyard birding. Almost all types of birds like it and many bird enthusiasts find it as one of the most top-rated seed varieties they have ever purchased.
More than that, even if you only have a tiny window feeder that lures not only a number of cardinal families but just nearly every size and variety bird, one could have in their yard. These birds all fly all through the day, rain or shine, winter or spring.
Being a yummy and nutrient-filled food source to your pet birds definitely comes with a lot of perks. It will soothe your exhausted body and mind seeing lovely cardinals and other types of songbirds doing adorable activities and moves in your backyard.
15. Perky-Pet 238 Hummingbird Nectar
What to feed birds from the kitchen? This red liquid concentrate nectar is one of the top options that aid gets your most treasured hummingbirds’ feeder up and moving fast. In addition to this, your pet birds will certainly thank you for being their beneficial food source. Undeniably, hummingbird lovers could put their feet up and take pleasure in viewing lovely birds buzz about and eat at the feeder.
Take in mind that it is crucial to tidy the feeder at least two times per week, and clean it more often in very warm seasons. This product is cost-effective since it makes up to 1.25 gallons of nectar.
This is a nice nectar that could last throughout the summer and it can guarantee that hummingbirds will love consuming it.
- Easy to utilize since you only need to add some water
- Specifically designed to lure hummingbirds to your feeder
- Formulated with superb high energy sucrose
- Food color is not good for hummingbirds
- Seem not to effectively lure birds at first
By the same token, nearly all types of birds seem to love this product so bird feeders will be required to refill the feeder more regularly. You will love preparing it because it is a liquid concentrate product that means there is nothing to pour, spill and dissolve process for you to deal with. You only need to put more water in the measuring cup, make sure to screw the lid back on and lastly carefully fill the feeder and you’re all set!
While it is convenient to just buy ready to use concentrated nectar, still nothing beats making your own homemade nectar since this is deemed as a very natural way of feeding your pet birds. If you make your own bird food, you are assured that no added chemicals are mixed in the bird food.
16. Kaytee Products Inc. 10Lb Squirrel & Critter Blend Food
Are you currently looking for the best bird seed for Colorado, Houston, Alberta, Southern California, Central Florida, and Arizona? Then, you do not need to further your search. Kaytee Squirrel and Critter Blend will satisfy your requirements if you are searching for a combination of high-quality seeds and grains that are specially formulated to keep chipmunks, squirrels and other backyard critters away to your feeders.
This product is known for being a perfect alternative to aid these creatures isolated and stay away from your bird feeders.
You will find this item as the best cheap bird seed to purchase. It weighs 10 pounds and comes with a free shipping offer. It is loaded with peanuts corn that squirrels love. Additionally, the mix is great for some birds too and most critters will consume the sunflower seeds and other seed before the corn.
- Ideal for squirrels, birds, and ducks
- Filled with nutritious seeds, corns, and nuts
- Comes with sealed packaging that keeps the product fresh and free of any infestation
- The corn kernels are too tough
- It’s not a tidy food
- Some ingredients are stale
- The bulk of the bag contains mostly corn
If you wish to feed whatever wildlife you could in the yard, then this item will work great for you. It lures cardinals, bluejays, squirrels, and duck. You only need to lay the seed out, watch and be prepared for a fun-filled show!
Not to mention, you could merely imagine what other creatures will prefer it once it gets warmer in your region. Truth is, many consumers who have tried this product claimed that this is an ideal pick for you to enjoy feeding the wildlife during periods of snowstorms.
Surely, having these adorable creatures in your backyard or garden provides you with daily relaxing sights and gives you the chance to delight in the beauty of nature without leaving your own place.
What is a Bird Seed/ Bird Food
Bird foods are a combination of nuts, grains, and seeds, etc. that are appropriate for various bird species to consume. Whilst most bird foods are fed to commercial domesticated birds, a lot of bird enthusiasts and bird feeders also utilize bird food to feed wild or pet birds.
The different kinds of bird food indicate the bird species that could be fed, whether they are nectar-consuming birds or carnivores. Whilst, it is a well-known method to feed wild birds from bird feeders, they could carry hidden hazards for the birds that feed there like malnutrition, disease as well as predation from other kinds of animals.
In fact, this is one of the main reasons why researchers highly suggest that bird feeders be cleaned and disinfected each time they are refilled.
There are different types of bird foods: natural and commercial bird foods.
The most highly recommendable seeds for use in bird feeders are black sunflower seeds. This is because such seeds easily lure a broad range of bird species; these seeds also come with a high percentage of meat to shell and are rich in fat contents.
Meanwhile, other typical bird seeds comprise of millet for juncos and sparrows, Nyjer or thistle seeds for goldfinches and safflower seeds for Cardinals.
Kitchen scraps like bread are commonly fed to gulls and ducks, artificial nectar sugar water that is specially formulated to lure and feed hummingbirds and suet is highly recommended for the insect-eating type of birds such as woodpeckers and nuthatches.
On the other hand, chickens are generally fed with barley, maize, sorghum, wheat, and milling-by products.
It is worth noting that these seeds and non-seeds bird foods are usually purchased as by-products on farms; however, they could be obtained from some independent retailers as well.
Such bird foods are provided with very detailed and scientifically formulated pre-blended type of feed.
It is essential to understand that commercial bird food is broadly available for feeding domesticated and wild birds- these consist of both pellets and seed combinations.
Types of Bird Seeds
Here are the best types of birdseeds to feed wild and pet birds:
- Sunflower. This is easy to find and is comparably cheaper. There are different kinds of sunflower seeds and these include black oil, striped and hulled sunflower.
- Black oil sunflower is the most renowned type of seed in the shell and this is the favorite of nearly all types of birds.
- Striped sunflower is bigger than black oil and is the same kind of sunflower seed that people eat. This is actually the reason why it is more costly than the black oil sunflower.
- Hulled sunflower pertains to sunflower seed that had its shell removed. It is also known as sunflower kernels or chips.
- Nyjer or thistle. This is goldfinches’ favorite bird food. These are described as small black seeds that commonly grow in India or Ethiopia. Prior to selling it, this seed is first sterilized through heat. However, it has the tendency to be easily spoiled and if the seed isn’t fresh, birds tend to refuse to consume it in the feeder.
Hence, it is a must to purchase these seeds from specialty bird food shops.
- Safflower. This seed is considered the most excellent bird food and it is even labeled as the miracle seed. It is labeled as such because nearly all irking pests at your feeders do not like it. Moreover, this is slightly tinier as compared to the black oil sunflower and comes with a hard shell.
The delighting news is that many backyard feathered friends do not have problems with consuming safflower and these include finches, chickadees, and Cardinals. Such seed is also useful in your feeders that are not squirrel-resistant.
- Peanuts. These are an ideal food to provide at your feeding area. Birds surely love consuming them and they are nutritious and are capable of providing a considerable amount of protein and fat which are valuable nutrients that birds need particularly in the coldest season of the year.
- White Proso Millet. This is the most preferred food among ground feeding birds. In general, it is not sold individually and is usually contained in several kinds of birdseed mixes. Indeed, there are various kinds of millet but the most excellent one is the white proso which is described as a tiny round seed.
This type of seed commonly lures doves, grackles, blackbirds, towhees, sparrows and juncos.
- Mealworms. These are specially formulated for bluebirds. Due to their high protein and fat content, providing mealworms to wild or pet birds is a special and healthy treat for various backyard feathered friends. There are two distinct methods of purchasing mealworms: live and dried.
Corn. When you buy corn at the shop, it is offered in two varied methods:
- Cracked corn. This is whole kernel corn that has been chopped to make it a lot easier for birds to consume. This is typically utilized in birdseed mixes since it is less costly. A lot of birds are unable to consume whole kernel corn since it is too big and most birds prefer cracked corns.
- Whole kernel corn. This is cheap to buy as compared with other kinds of bird foods and seeds. However, not many birds like and can consume whole kernel corn. Hence, this is restricted to larger types of birds like ducks, grackles, ravens, crows, and jays.
- Suet. This pertains to hard fat surrounding the loins and kidneys of sheep and beef. This type of bird food provides a great energy source for wild birds and is a good source of the required fats that are especially vital in the coldest period of the year.
- Sugar Water (Nectar). It matters to note that preparing a homemade solution of sugar water simulates nectar that various bird species can find in flowers. Fortunately, creating this type of solution is a piece of cake; all you need to do is to mix four parts of water with one part of table sugar.
This is a great approach to lure the most colorful and largest birds around.
- Fruits. These are healthy snacks for a lot of birds and are an effective technique to entice species that do not regularly land in your yard. You may consider using fresh fruits from your kitchen or jelly and dried fruits.
Benefits of Bird Seeds
It is quite vital to understand what can birds not eat and what kind of diet to provide them. Providing birds with nutrient-filled bird seeds and other bird foods will help them build blocks for feather production, develop a cheerful attitude and maintain healthy skin. In the same way, a natural, balanced and whole food helps birds have the energy they need to do their daily activities, ward off diseases and infections, boost their immune system and improve their overall wellness.
As you know, a good diet is critical to every bird’s health.
Best Bird Seed Brands
Would you like to know what the best bird seed brands are?
- Valley Splendor Black Oil Sunflower- this is the most outstanding birdseed for wild birds.
- Wagner’s Greatest Variety Mix – this is the top-rated seed mix for wild birds.
- Lyric Sunflower Kernels – these are highly recognized for being no-mess bird seeds for wild birds.
- Wagner’s Nyjer Seed – the most well-known bird seed brand that effectively lures finches.
- Kaytee Safflower Seed – the best bird seed brand that is specially formulated to entice Cardinals.
- Kaytee Mealworms – known for being the exceptional bird food to seduce bluebirds.
- Pine Tree Farms Peanut Butter Suet Cake – considered as the most top-drawer bird food that is capable of attracting woodpeckers.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Bird Seed
Before purchasing bird seeds or bird foods to feed wild or pet birds, it is a must to ponder on the following factors first:
- Budget. This is often the first consideration to be reflected on so that you won’t exceed while looking at the different options available.
- Store. Select the reliable and reputable bird food shop that many consumers trust in your area or on the web.
- Quality. See to it that you conduct the quality check on the bird seeds that you purchase. Never compromise the quality of the product under any circumstances.
- Ingredients. Carefully check the ingredients contained in the bird food product that you plan to purchase so you are well aware of what it is made of.
- Dates. Make sure to check the manufacturing date of the bird seed or bird food you are buying. Most importantly, check the expiration date on the package.
- Taste. Various types of birds prefer varied types of bird seeds or bird foods. So, ensure that you know what type of foods your pet or wild birds’ friends prefer.
- Odor. The scent of the bird food should be excellent enough to entice the birds that you hope to invite in your backyard.
- Health concerns. Make it a point that no hazardous preservatives or ingredients are utilized which could lead to various health issues such as allergies and the like.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to make your own wild bird seed mix?
There are ample and varied forms of birdseed mixes. Less cheap mixes commonly contain high quantities of millet and milo and slight amounts of sunflower seeds, cracked corn, and other grains and seeds. Likewise, wheat is a well-known filler addition; nevertheless, it comes with little nutritional value for your feathered buddies.
These mixes could be helpful but birders might see high quantities of waste since birds usually seek out their most preferred seeds in the mix.
On the other hand, more costly birdseed mixes commonly have more renowned and desirable seeds like pumpkin seeds, sunflower hearts, sunflower seeds, nut hearts, and nuts. Take in mind that these types of mixes might even contain dried mealworms, dried fruit and other special treats for pet and wild birds.
Fundamentally, elaborate birdseed mixes are generally marketed as bird-specific; for instance, a finch mix or songbird mix relying on what seeds are contained in the mix.
How to avoid filler seed?
Consider purchasing or making seed mixes that do not come with more filler seeds such as wheat and milo that will be tossed aside by most bird species and might just end up as weed seeds in your yard if your bird feeder is situated over your lawn area.
How to make bird seed blocks?
For you to make your bird seed blocks, the following ingredients must be prepared:
- A big-enough bowl where you will mix all the ingredients
- At least 2 tbsp. of cold water
- a packet of unflavored gelatin
- at least two cups of bird seeds
- 1/3 cup of boiling water
A homemade birdseed block may consist of water, bird seeds and unflavored gelatin. After you have carefully mixed the suet recipe, you can now begin molding it into different forms in order to successfully hang it in your bird’s cage or position it outside for your visiting feathered buddies.
How to make balls?
You need to prepare the following ingredients for you to make balls:
- Beef suet or lard, vegetable and a bird seed mix.
The procedure as follows: combine one part of suet to at least two parts of seeds, then carefully transfer this to the bowl and make sure to heat the mixture gently. It is essential to stir the mixture gently till the fat completely melts. You may utilize ice cream scoop to make fat balls or another way of doing this is molding it into balls with the use of your hands.
Are birdseed ornaments safe?
Birdseed ornaments are safe for both birds and humans, particularly for the kids. For a fact, they are fun and easy to create and various bird species will surely love them. Such ornaments are adept at attracting a lot of birds to land, visit, eat and even stay for longer periods in your backyard, garden or lawn area.
Luckily, there are so many DIY instructions when making your own birdseed ornaments. Both old and young people will be delighted in designing their own ornaments.
What bird seed is the best for songbirds?
Songbirds tend to take pleasure in seeds that directly come from plants. As a matter of fact, it is highly recommended to plant shrubs and perennials of varying heights so to come up with a layering effect to satisfy the eating habits of different types of songbirds; some of them prefer feeding on the ground, meanwhile, others prefer feeding at greater heights.
Perennials, as well as annuals with noticeable seed heads, are the particularly appealing food source for songbirds. Instances of these include floss flowers, sunflowers, and spider flowers. On the other hand, perennials that lure songbirds comprise of bee balm, great and purple coneflowers, tickseed and globe thistle.
Do different birds like different bird seeds?
Different types of birds prefer different types of bird seeds too. For example, safflower is preferred by house finches, Northern Cardinal, and mourning doves. Black oil sunflower seeds are preferred by finches, Cardinals, and Nuthatches. Meanwhile, Nyjer or thistle is the favorite food of mourning doves, Purple Finches, and Gold Finches. Striped Sunflower is the choice of most woodpeckers, Cardinals and Blue Jays.
How to store your extra bird feed?
The proper way of storing your extra bird feed is by bringing it inside. Keep in mind that even though it is more comfortable to store big bags of bird seeds in an outdoor area, shed or in the garage, still, it is a lot easier for the seeds to lure the bugs that way. Therefore, it is a must to keep the seeds inside a dry and cool place.
Why have the birds stopped eating the seed I put out?
In reality, the reasons for this could be as discrete as there are birds. At times, it is because of the predators that show up. It is important to note that these bird predators could be owls, hawks, cats and other birds and animals.
It is critical to have a deeper grasp of bird behavior in terms of feeding as this shall assist you better understand why they have halted visiting your place. Note that various birds are in constant search of other food sources.
Interestingly, some of the birds that you watch at your feeder in the early mornings might not be the same birds that you come across in late afternoons.
What bird seed does not sprout?
There are probably varied reasons why bird seeds do not sprout. If there is a birdseed catcher to your feeder, this will catch the bird seed prior it hits the ground. Hence, hinging on the kind of catcher you get, at times, birds will even consume that. So, this wards off the sprouting of bird seeds.
Where is the best place to buy bird seed? (Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot and Amazon)
Fortunately, various brands of bird seeds are not difficult to find. You can search for them online or through local stores near you. Various reputable brands are also available and can be purchased on the web. A few of the legit and credible shopping sites where you can look for them include Amazon and eBay.
Meanwhile, if you opt for buying them in local stores, you can search in Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart.
If you wish and would like to try your luck, many bird seeds are also available in local supermarkets and bird shops.
Making the most out of your birdseed budget is valuable to every bird enthusiasts, bird watchers, and bird feeders. Thus, it is substantial to take into account that when you are feeding your most valued feathered friends, always prioritize the quality of the product that you are eyeing to purchase.
After all, your feathered buddies deserve to be fed with bird foods that won’t only satisfy their hunger but more importantly nourish their body and ensure their total wellness.
Be reminded that the more outstanding the blend of the bird feed you utilize for your pet birds or wild birds, the better your bird watching experience will be. Purchasing cheaper bird seed products could turn out to be the most costly approach to watching birds.
Note that poor quality bird foods will only result in a greater amount of unconsumed waste by your visiting feathered buddies.