The recent surge in the sales of Cannabidiol-based products results from its wide availability. In the past couple of years, the market has almost increased to double its size. At the same time, the number of online stores selling CBD-based products has increased. Initially, when they came into the market, many had the 8 Things You Didn’t Know About CBD Oil for Dogs Here are 8 things that you might not know about this herb that has taken the world by storm with so much misconception in the marketplace. Watching a pet getting seizures can be a terrifying sight for every pet parent. Muscle spasms, collapsing, drooling uncontrollably, losing consciousness and jerking are all signs of seizures in pets.
Can CBD Ease Dogs with Neuropathic Pain?
The recent surge in the sales of Cannabidiol-based products results from its wide availability. In the past couple of years, the market has almost increased to double its size. At the same time, the number of online stores selling CBD-based products has increased. Initially, when they came into the market, many had their doubts about the products. With time, the doubts have vanished as the product range has proven reliable.
The sales have increased to a triple in the last couple of years, particularly in the United States of America. Several states which had earlier imposed a ban on the product have now legalized the distribution and production of Cannabidiol-Based products.
One more trait associated with these products is their inclusivity, as they are helpful for humans and animals as well. They are easy to consume and often work quickly. CBD Oil is particularly popular in pets as they take it through a dropper, which helps and controls the dose.
It can treat many common diseases in animals ranging from anxiety, restlessness, and neuropathic pain. Many specialists recommend consulting a specialist before starting with a dose plan.
WHAT IS NEUROPATHIC PAIN?
Everything in a multicellular organism’s body connects through the nervous system, which transfers and signals pain, anxiety, and every other feeling to the brain. Ever wondered why you take your hand off instantly after touching a hot object? The nerves from your fingers move the sensation to the brain and help the body to react.
The above case is the same for all mammals, same for domesticated pets like dogs. Several painful sensations get transferred through the neural network and notify the brain. It can often trigger a painful response when a particular part comes under physical stress. It also can trigger a seizure-like mental response in many dogs and other animals.
Vets claim that these problems are often a result of severe physical impact on the pet’s body. A hard blow around the spinal cord causes neuropathic pain in most cases. The neural networks go through the animal’s spinal cord and signal the feeling of pain in dogs.
WHAT IS CBD?
CBD or Cannabidiol originates from the leaves of the famous Sativa Plant. It is organic, which makes it popular among the consumer base. Food and Drug Administration has approved CBD because of the low content of THC. It contains 0.3% Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which makes it legal in most parts of the world. The fact that CBD is legal makes it more popular among the consumer base of the United States of America. Many clinical trials show that Cannabidiol-based products do not make the consumer come under any influence.
Cannabidiol-Based products are available in a wide variety, and some of the famous examples include CBD Oil, CBD Capsules, CBD Tincture, CBD Gummies, and many more. Cannabidiol Oil is very popular among pet owners, as it is liquid. It is easy to consume and often sweet, making it the perfect medicine for your furry friends.
Several pet owners have quickly adopted CBD products for their dogs, giving quick results.
HOW CAN CBD HELP?
Cannabidiol-based products have hemp extract, which is the primary constituent. The hemp extract originates from the leaves of the Sativa Plant and is pure. It mixes with the blood in the veins of the consumer and slows down the metabolism of your dog. As several diseases originate from irregular blood flow in the system, hemp extract is an effective tool. As Cannabidiol-based products are organic, they do not cause any short/long-term side effects on your pet dog.
The big problem with the old chemical-based drugs as they were notorious for causing side effects in many animals. Several times the chemical constituents may cause several skin-related diseases and allergies in your dogs. CBD for dogs solves the problem as it hardly ever causes any side effects on animals and humans.
When mixed with the bloodstream, the hemp extract causes an instant relief. It reduces the stress and restlessness of the animals, which provides long-term relief. CBD Oil drops onto the affected body part of the dog, which efficiently decreases the physical pain.
HOW DO DOGS CONSUME CBD?
The most popular among the wide range of CBD-Based products is CBD Oil due to its wide availability and efficiency. This oil often comes with a dripper on the edge of the bottle. This dripper makes sure that the required number of drops only goes inside the dog’s body. Many vets claim that an effective dose plan is essential to maximize the effectiveness of CBD Oil.
The affected body part in the animal, which causes a painful reflex, can be treated with oil drops. These drops reduce the inflammation in the affected area and help your dog relax gradually.
CBD ALSO HELPS IN OTHER DOG-RELATED PROBLEMS
Cannabidiol-Based products are popular among pet owners because of their multipurpose nature. They can be handy in operating neuropathic pain and treat other dog-related diseases.
- Many pets suffer from restlessness due to the busy work schedules of their owners. It can lead to physical stress and often lead to much unused energy, which can be very harmful to your pets. CBD-Based products can calm down the stressed nerves in the dogs and make them relax.
- The ever-increasing pollution and chemical ingredients in our everyday consumables can cause severe problems in dogs. Many pet parents complain that the allergies in their dogs have also increased with time. CBD Oil is beneficial in treating skin allergies and the severity of it. It kills the germs and reduces the inflammation caused in open wounds.
- Digestion problems in pets are a common trend, especially in domesticated dogs. The hemp extract in CBD reduces the inflammation in the stomach and helps with digestion. It often takes a week or two to observe the oil’s effectiveness. Try CBD hemp oil for pets and your best friend will love you.
CBD-Based products are new in the market, attracting much stigma around them. Once the user manages to get over them and starts to use these products, the benefits, and the results are quickly visible. Various clinical trials conducted across the United States of America show that Cannabidiol-Based products hardly cause any short/long-term side effects.
Many states that earlier had banned CBD-Based products have started to uplift the ban. Governments across most states in the USA are promoting Cannabidiol-Based products. It has made CBD an effective alternative over chemical drugs for pets as it is organic.
8 Things You Didn’t Know About CBD Oil for Dogs
Here are 8 things that you might not know about this herb that has taken the world by storm with so much misconception in the marketplace.
- CBD is not Psychoactive (you can’t get high from it): CBD (cannabidiol) is a compound that is found in both cannabis and hemp. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) can also be found in cannabis and is what gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. Most CBD oils are simply just the benefits of CBD without the THC. Typically CBD is usually extracted from hemp rather than marijuana, so simply put – your dog won’t get high from CBD oil. She’ll get the relaxation without the intoxication.
- CBD Oil Reduces Anxiety: CBD has been extensively studied for its effect on stress and anxiety. In humans it’s been found to:
- Reduce anxiety while speaking in public
- Reduce anxiety in both healthy people and those with anxiety disorders
- Be effective in those with panic disorders and PTSD
- CBD Can Fight Cancer: CBD and other substances in hemp and cannabis have been determined to have an anti-tumor effect. CBD has even been found to stop cancer cells from growing and increase death of cancerous cells.
- CBD has been shown to help the immune systems Killer T Cells consume cancerous cells
- CBD kills cancerous cells by inhibiting their ability to produce energy.
- The anti-tumor properties of CBD slow and inhibit glioma cell growth.
- CBD Can Treat Seizures and Epilepsy: An estimated 5% of dogs suffer from seizures. Most of them are put on drugs like phenobarbital and potassium bromide which may help control the seizures but can be extremely harmful to your dog’s liver and other internal organs. Unfortunately, these drugs also do not work in all cases. CBD has been shown to be effective in drug-resistant epilepsy. In one study, 83% of patients with drug resistant epilepsy saw a marked improvement within 4 -5 months of taking CBD on a regular schedule. In another study, 84% of children with treatment-resistant epilepsy who had been taking CBD had a reduction in the frequency of seizures.
- CBD is a Pain Reliever: Scientists are considering CBD as a new class of drug in the treatment of chronic pain since the cannabinoids in CBD work so well for controlling pain. Studies show that CBD is highly effective for
- Decreasing pain (including neuropathy and nerve-related pain)
- Decreasing the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress (which causes degeneration and premature aging)
- Decreasing inflammation in acute pancreatitis
- Reducing inflammation
- Reducing intestinal inflammation associated with irritable bowel disease. Animal studies show that CBD is effective is preventing colitis (IBD) and restoring normal gut motility in IBD.
- CBD Helps Protect the Nervous System and Helps with Neurodegenerative Diseases: For does that are suffering from degenerative myelopathy and other spinal and nervous issues, CBD shows great promise. It’s been shown to help patients with ALS, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases by protecting the brain cells from toxicity. For senior dogs CBD has been shown to protect the brain from cell death caused by toxins and free radicals.
- CBD Increases Appetite And Helps With Nausea: If you have trouble getting your dog to eat, CBD can help. The National Cancer Institute reports that CBD increases appetite. In animal studies, CBD has also been shown to help with vomiting and nausea, even when they’re the result of toxins and drugs.
- CBD Promotes Cardiovascular Health: CBD has been linked to heart health. Studies show it can reduce the damage from damaged blood vessels and irregular heart rates, protect blood vessels from damage and dilate the arteries, and reduce heart rate and blood pressure associated with stress and anxiety.
CBD Oil For Dogs Is Legal And Safe
With so many studies showing the health benefits of CBD, the most encouraging result is that CBD appears to be safe, even when taken in high doses and over extended periods of time. It can decrease the activity of liver enzymes used to metabolize many prescription drugs, so if your dog is on medication, check with your vet before using CBD.
Most CBD oil for dogs and other pets is derived from hemp oil, so it contains no or very small traces of THC. Because of this, all 50 states have approved the use of hemp-based CBD for human and animal products.
The bottom line is, CBD oil could be a healthy (or even life-saving) herb for your dog. More and more pet owners and vets are drawn to its diverse and marked health benefits and they feel good knowing the side effects are mild and animals don’t appear to build up a tolerance.
Choose A Good CBD Oil For Your Dog
Not all CBD oils are equal…you’ll want a high quality CBD oil that works, so here are a few things to look for:
- Go organic: If it isn’t organic, your CBD oil contains pesticides, fungicides or solvents.
- Don’t cheap out: The higher the quality and purity, the higher the cost. Don’t price shop … make sure your CBD oil is free of additives and has a good amount of CBD.
- Get the analysis: Ask for a lab analysis of the amount of CBD in the product. Many CBD oils contain only small amounts of CBD. The manufacturer should provide a certificate of analysis. You’ll also want to make sure there is little or no THC in the product.
- Buy CBD as a tincture: You can buy CBD in treats but the best form is in a tincture. This way, you can adjust your dog’s dose drop by drop to make sure he gets the most benefit. CBD treats are just that – treats. We think they’re great, just don’t use them to treat ailments, you’ll likely be disappointed in the results.
Just like any treatment, start your dog off slowly but don’t let the naysayers tell you CBD isn’t a good option for your dog … the research is being done and the results are very promising.
Come to either Bend Pet Express location and talk to our knowledgeable staff about CBD options today. We have a great selection.
CBD oil can help in the treatment of seizures in pets
CBD or Cannabidiol is the non-psychoactive component of the Cannabis Sativa plant
Watching a pet getting seizures can be a terrifying sight for every pet parent. Muscle spasms, collapsing, drooling uncontrollably, losing consciousness and jerking are all signs of seizures in pets. Seizures are one of the most common neurological disorders in dogs. They can be caused by several different factors. For cats, seizures are uncommon but not unheard of. Mostly, a seizure lasts only for a few seconds, but if your pet suffers from multiple episodes of seizures, they may be diagnosed with epilepsy. Epilepsy is characterised by unprovoked and recurrent seizures that stem from an abnormality of the brain.
If you suspect that your pet is suffering from epilepsy, you must speak with a trusted vet. Your vet can help diagnose the cause behind your pet’s seizures and suggest treatment methods accordingly.
Epilepsy and seizures are usually treated with the help of anticonvulsant drugs. These antiepileptic drugs prevent seizures or help control seizures in pets. There are a large number of these drugs available today. Sometimes, your vet may advise the use of CBD oil as a supplemental or supportive therapy option. CBD or Cannabidiol is the non-psychoactive component of the Cannabis Sativa plant. This component possesses anticonvulsant properties that reduce the frequency and severity of seizures. CBD does not make animals high as it does not consist of THC—the hallucinogenic component.
How it helps
CBD works by interacting with the endocannabinoid system. This endocannabinoid system is a network of several receptors that maintain and regulate bodily functions. Endacannoboindis maintain homeostasis, that is, a stable internal environment. When epilepsy interferes with the internal environment of the body and creates an imbalance, the phytocannabinoids found in hemp help restore the balance. CBD oils and supplements have the ability to calm overactive neurons and control seizures significantly. When a body’s nervous system has been disturbed by disease, illness or injury, CBD oil can help restore homeostasis.
Efficacy in treating seizures
The results of the use of CBD in treating seizures in pets are highly promising. The American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation is researching CBD’s effectiveness at treating seizures in dogs. In its initial research, they found that CBD helped reduce the frequency of seizures in 89% of dogs.
These numbers have proven to be highly promising and encouraging for pet parents and vets. There are several testimonials by pet parents where CBD oil has helped their furry friends overcome seizures even when conventional drugs couldn’t. The regular use of CBD oil has also reduced the frequency and severity of seizures.
How to use it
The first step would be to speak to your vet. Ask your vet if CBD oil can be added as a supportive therapy option or the current treatment option can be switched with CBD oil. Dosage can vary from once a day to twice a day. Your vet is the best person to recommend the right amount of dosage as it may vary from case to case.
CBD oil can be given to pets in various methods. You can feed it directly, add it to their food, add some to their favorite treats or put it on their paws so they can lick it off. Make sure you use an oil that is free of THC (the compound responsible for causing hallucinations), preservatives and additives. Speak to your vet about which CBD oil would work best for your pet.
(Inputs by Dr Tikeshwar Khawale, veterinary officer, Wiggles.in)
(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper’s PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)