Learn about CBD laws in Illinois, conditions that can be treated by CBD, and how patients in Illinois can qualify to treat chronic ailments with CBD. Pure Craft CBD offers CBD Oil 1000mg & 2000mg flavored CBD tinctures, CBD Gummy Bears, CBD Oil for Dogs and more! Discover Pure Craft CBD PURE CRAFT BLOG
Illinois CBD Program
Every state has complicated marijuana laws. With the growing popularity of cannabidiol (CBD), many people get confused when they learn about its legal status. CBD provides no psychoactive effects, making it ideal for a wide range of patients. But, as a marijuana compound, it has a murky legal status. Let’s talk about the differences and similarities between marijuana and CBD in Illinois.
Illinois CBD Rules
Under Illinois law, marijuana-based CBD falls under the medical marijuana program. Hemp-derived CBD products are legal for all Illinoisans — not just medical marijuana patients.
However, CBD oil made from marijuana, aka cannabis oil, is only legally sold at Illinois marijuana dispensaries, even if it does not contain THC, the compound in marijuana responsible for the high.
For the most part, doctors are not permitted to prescribe either hemp CBD or marijuana products to their patients. This is because the federal government has not approved cannabis for medicinal use. These rules mean you must join the Illinois medical marijuana program to get CBD extracted from marijuana. But, they also suggest that you can get hemp CBD without a patient card. The gray areas in state and federal law let patients buy some forms of CBD without a recommendation.
Conditions Treated by CBD in Illinois
Since you can find hemp-based CBD in stores, you don’t have to have a certain ailment to get it. However, we recommend joining the medicinal cannabis program for its benefits. The products sold at dispensaries undergo strict quality assurance. Plus, you get the guidance of a cannabis-trained doctor. You could qualify for a patient ID if you have a condition like:
Patients with prescriptions for opioids can also qualify for medical cannabis. Read our guide to qualifying in Illinois to discover more than 40 eligible ailments.
Who Can Buy CBD Medicine?
Only Illinois residents over 18 with a patient card can get marijuana-based CBD. You can sign up for the program by following these steps:
- Get a signed certification from a doctor you have an ongoing relationship with. If your current doctor doesn’t approve of medical marijuana treatment, visit a cannabis-friendly physician. You can establish a relationship with them.
- Register online for a medical cannabis card. Visit the online application portal and follow the directions.
How Do Hemp-Based and Marijuana-Based CBD Laws Differ?
Illinois’ rules for hemp-based and marijuana-based CBD give patients broader access to care. You can buy CBD from a store if you can’t join the medical cannabis program. But, we recommend signing up if you qualify. Marijuana-based CBD offers benefits you won’t find in hemp CBD.
Is CBD Legal in Illinois? (2022 CBD Laws)
Illinois’s official state motto — State Sovereignty, National Union —couldn’t be a more perfect summation of its position on cannabis. The state is very progressive when it comes to marijuana and CBD laws, often leading the nation in related legislation.
So, yes, federally-approved CBD (hemp-derived and with a max of 0.3% THC) legal. Illinois also has a relatively generous medical marijuana program that permits qualified patient to use marijuana CBD (which may have higher THC). Recreational marijuana is legal for adults 21+ years old.
Illinois CBD Laws At A Glance
When it comes to CBD in Illinois, here are the big points you need to know:
• CBD is legal in Illinois.
• There are no CBD possession limits.
• Illinois has a broad medical cannabis program.
• Recreational marijuana is also legal for adults.
Is CBD Legal in Illinois?
Wanna indulge in some CBD? Go right ahead! Here in the Land of Lincoln it’s A-OK to buy, own, and use hemp CBD with less than or equal to 0.3% THC. Certain forms of marijuana are also allowed in this cannabis-receptive state.
In fact, Illinois’s been very active legislatively, especially in recent years. While it may have started a bit slowly, the state has really picked up the pace, breadth, and depth of its cannabis regulations and programs. Let’s take a brief look at how and when the state’s laws evolved.
- In 2013, Illinois established a fairly-restrictive medical cannabis program. Through the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act (MCPP) permitted patients could use marijuana for certain health conditions. Over the next few years, various amendments were made to the law. These changes expanded the MCPP to allow for additional qualifying health conditions, participation of minors, and caregiver rights.
- 2014 saw the passage of the Cannabis Control Act, which both legalized industrial hemp research and defined hemp as having 0.3% THC or less.
- The Illinois legislature took measures to decriminalize cannabis in 2016. Punishment for possession of small amounts of cannabis was reduced.
- The 2018 Farm Bill federally-legalized hemp-derived CBD with 0.0-0.3% THC content. As such, it was permitted in Illinois as well.
- Later that year, Illinois passed its Industrial Hemp Act. This law removed prohibitions on industrial hemp, making commercial growth, processing, and sale of products legal. It also removed hemp from the controlled substances list.
- Additional legislation in 2018 expanded the MCPP and created the Opioid Alternative Pilot Program. The law made both of these programs permanent.
- Finally, in 2019. Illinois legalized recreational marijuana. Adults over the age of 21 can partake of cannabis. This legislation also further expanded the medical marijuana program and created a path for Illinoisans to expunge prior marijuana convictions.
Wow! They did a lot in not a lot of time!
How To Buy CBD in Illinois Legally
Don’t fret — Illinois’s a CBD-friendly state, as you know by now. Hooray! So, you can shop for CBD products at your local CBD retailers or head online. Either way, the marketplace has loads of options. Just be sure to locate a trustworthy seller and you’re good to go!
Adults can freely buy hemp CBD with no more than 0.3% THC. For cannabis of the medical variety, you’ll need a medical marijuana card from the state and shop at an authorized dispensary.
Can You Buy CBD At Brick & Mortar Stores?
Grabbing CBD-infused products while you’re at the health food store or pharmacy may be an option in the Prairie State. So is stocking up at dispensaries or other retailers. Be sure to solicit recommendations from friends, family, and wellness professionals — you only want to patronize the best local CBD vendors.
Can You Buy CBD Online?
Federal law says it’s legal to mail hemp-derived CBD with 0.0-0.3% THC to all 50 states. So, while CBD has the seal of legal approval in Illinois, you may still prefer the convenience (and selection) of heading to your nearest virtual CBD marketplace. Besides, it’s more fun to shop in your jammies, right?!
This is great news for those in Illinois who are looking for options. CBD products are readily available, at your fingertips! Point, click, enjoy CBD — it can be that simple. It can also be an exceptionally safe way to buy CBD online. At least, that’s how we roll here at Pure Craft.
Speaking of awesome online CBD shopping, check out these high-quality CBD products that’re popular near you: