Looking to invest in a market with long-term potential? CBD is a great opportunity, as it hasn’t yet reached its full potential in the U.S. As more consumers begin to use CBD and the regulatory market shifts, the CBD market will likely continue growing. Globe NewsWire has estimated that the U.S. CBD market will expand These are the marijuana stocks with the best value, fastest growth, and best performance for September 2022.
Top CBD Stocks You Should Invest in Today
Looking to invest in a market with long-term potential? CBD is a great opportunity, as it hasn’t yet reached its full potential in the U.S. As more consumers begin to use CBD and the regulatory market shifts, the CBD market will likely continue growing.
Globe NewsWire has estimated that the U.S. CBD market will expand to $13.39 Billion by 2024, an annual growth rate of over 40%. We’ve detailed four CBD stocks below that show great potential.
Right now, CBD oil cannot be added to dietary supplements, which are regulated by the FDA. However, a bill was just introduced to Congress to legalize CBD in dietary supplements! This bill has bipartisan support, so the chances of it passing are higher.
This is great news for the CBD market! This means that, over time, higher quality CBD products will become more readily available for CBD users, as less reputable companies are weeded out by FDA rules. Right now, many companies do not follow the FDA’s quality control procedures to minimize risks to consumers.
You’ll see both Canadian and U.S. companies on this list, as Canadian marijuana companies have been relegated to selling only hemp in the U.S., which means that publicly traded companies have focused on hemp sales.
How to Choose a CBD Stock
When choosing a CBD company to invest in, look at their financial filings, required for any publicly traded company.
Key CBD Company Financials
Earnings Per Share (EPS)
This is the CBD company’s net earnings or losses per share. Look at trends of EPS of the overall CBD industry at the time to see how the company compares to competitors.
Price to Earnings (P/E) Ratio
The P/E ratio can show you if a company’s stock is undervalued or overvalued. You generally are looking for a stock with a lower P/E ratio, as this indicates the stock is likely undervalued. A higher P/E ratio could indicate either expected upcoming growth or that the stock is overpriced.
Yearly Revenue Growth
If you look at a CBD company’s yearly revenue, you can get a sense of the direction in which the company is headed. CBD companies are pouring money into technology, equipment, and research. Expect to see continued growth in successful companies over the next few years.
Other CBD Stock Factors
Choose Pure Versus Synthetic CBD
We recommend investing in companies that use pure CBD, instead of the synthetic version. The impact of synthetic CBD on the body is still being studied and, until more data is available, we recommend investing in companies that use the natural version.
Companies that offer transparency to consumers are more likely to benefit from the possible upcoming regulatory changes. Look for companies that explain their hemp sourcing and CBD processing practices.
Look at Industry Trends
Over the past quarter many different CBD companies lost revenue, so keep that in mind when looking at a company. Look ahead at what each company is planning; this is also a good way to determine where to invest in the CBD space.
Best CBD Stocks
Canopy Growth (CGC)
Canopy Growth is a Canadian-based mainstream cannabis company that expanded into the CBD market in 2019 by partnering with Martha Stewart. The company has more overall sales than any other cannabis company in the world.
CGC is currently trading at just over $28 per share. The company achieved an impressive 76% revenue growth in 2020. Canopy Growth’s revenue decreased in the past quarter, but due to the recent launch of cosmetics, food, and animal care products, along with celebrity support, Canopy Growth is a good option for an already established brand.
Charlotte’s Web (CWEB)
Charlotte’s Web is a well-known CBD company that focuses on improving lives naturally with high quality CBD products. The company is transparent and offers certificates of analysis on their products. They also offer a wide variety of products.
Charlotte’s Web is currently trading at just over $5 per share. With their growing family of brands, Charlotte’s Web has achieved 28% historical annual growth since 2017. Growth is expected to accelerate, with analysts expecting Charlotte’s Web to grow faster than the rest of the CBD industry.
Pure Harvest Corporate Group Inc. (PHCG)
Based out of Denver, Pure Harvest Corporate Group has different companies that operate in both the traditional cannabis as well as CBD industries. PHCG is a great option if you are looking for a diversified CBD stock. The stock focuses on aggressive acquisition of companies in states with attractive markets for cannabis.
The company expanded into the CBD space by acquiring Prolific Nutrition and changing the name to Pure Harvest Hemp. Pure Harvest Hemp will focus on selling wellness consumer products online.
PHCG is currently trading at $0.67 per share. Although the stock has fluctuated over the past several years, the recent acquisition of Prolific Nutrition and additional investors shows promise for Pure Harvest Corporate Group.
Cronos Group Inc. (CRON)
Cronos Group is based out of Toronto and has a diverse portfolio of companies in the cannabis industry. If you are interested in CBD-infused cosmetic products, Cronos Group recently expanded into three hemp-derived CBD brands, including a skin care brand called Happy Dance—partnering with Kristen Bell.
Since many millennials are adopting CBD into their daily self-care routines, we see a bright future for the CBD side of Cronos Group Inc. holdings. CRON is currently trading at $8.50 per share. The stock has also shown strong year-over-year revenue growth.
If you are looking to not only invest in, but also to try CBD, Joy Organics prides itself in providing premium grade CBD products to our customers. You can rest assured you are only getting safe, high quality CBD, so you know exactly what you are putting into your body.
This North Carolina-based CBD company is one of the largest companies in the industry, with an array of products including tinctures, softgels, and award-winning gummies.
Their 2020 end-of-year reporting showed a 22% increase in net sales year over year—a steady incline in a highly competitive industry.
They’ve made a name for themselves through their vast product line, accessible prices, and athlete partnerships. While their stock prices climbed and fell consistently in their first two years in business, there combination of industry expertise, 2020 growth, and the upcoming industry regulations make this a reliable choice for those hoping to capitalize on this industry’s upcoming boom.
With increasing consumer acceptance of CBD, and the upcoming bill to regulate CBD as a dietary supplement, now is a great time to invest in CBD stocks!
Hannah Smith is Joy Organics Director of Communications. She is driven by her passion for providing clear and accessible wellness and CBD education. In 2015, she received her BA in Media, Culture and the Arts from The King’s College in New York City and before Joy Organics, worked as writer and photographer in the Middle East and North Africa. Her work has been featured on Forbes, Vice, Vox, Denver Post, and the Coloradoan.
Top Marijuana Stocks for September 2022
CL.CX, SNDL, and VRNO.CX are top for value, growth, and performance
Nathan Reiff has been writing expert articles and news about financial topics such as investing and trading, cryptocurrency, ETFs, and alternative investments on Investopedia since 2016.
The marijuana industry is made up of companies that either support or are engaged in the research, development, distribution, and sale of medical and recreational marijuana. Cannabis has begun to gain wider acceptance and has been legalized in a growing number of nations, states, and other jurisdictions for recreational, medicinal, and other uses. Some of the biggest companies in the marijuana industry include Canopy Growth Corp., Cronos Group Inc., and Tilray Inc. Many big marijuana companies have continued to post sizable net losses as they focus on investments needed to speed up revenue growth. 37 U.S. states now permit the use of marijuana in some form.
Marijuana stocks, as represented by the ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF (MJ), have vastly underperformed the broader market. MJ has provided a total return of -63.6% over the past 12 months, well below the Russell 1000 Index’s total return of -8.2%. These market performance numbers and all statistics in the tables below are as of Aug. 24, 2022.
Here are the top five marijuana stocks with the best value, the fastest growth, and the best performance.
Best Value Marijuana Stocks
These are the marijuana stocks with the lowest 12-month trailing price-to-sales (P/S) ratio. For companies in the early stages of development or industries suffering from major shocks, this can be substituted as a rough measure of a business’s value. A business with higher sales could eventually produce more profit when it achieves (or returns to) profitability. The P/S ratio shows how much you’re paying for the stock for each dollar of sales generated.
|Best Value Marijuana Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing P/S Ratio|
|Cresco Labs Inc. (CL.CX)||CA$4.92||CA$1.5||1.3|
|Jushi Holdings Inc. (JUSH.CX)||CA$2.29||CA$0.4||1.6|
|Aurora Cannabis Inc. (ACB)||1.57||0.5||1.8|
|TerrAscend Corp. (TER.CX)||CA$2.32||CA$0.6||1.9|
|Trulieve Cannabis Corp. (TRUL.CX)||CA$17.47||CA$3.2||2.1|
- Cresco Labs Inc.: Cresco Labs is a cannabis products company involved in growing, manufacturing, and distribution. The company operates in 10 states, including more than 70 total production facilities and dispensaries. Its brands include Cresco, Remedi, High Supply, Wonder Wellness Co., Mindy’s, Good News, Sunnyside, and FloraCal Farms. Cresco Labs’ stock also trades OTC in the U.S. under the ticker CRLBF. On July 15, Cresco reported that Columbia Care Inc., a cultivator and maker of cannabis products, had obtained the final order from the Supreme Court of British Columbia approving its business combination with Cresco Labs. Per the agreement, Cresco will acquire all outstanding shares of Columbia Care. The combination is expected to close in Q4 2022. At the time of the announcement, it was estimated that Cresco Labs is paying $2 billion for Columbia Care.
- Jushi Holdings Inc.: Jushi Holdings is a holding company focused on branded cannabis and hemp-based assets. The company is engaged in retail, distribution, cultivation, and processing operations. Its brands include: The Bank, focused on plant genetics and cultivation; The Lab, specializing in vape products and concentrates; Nira+, a producer of medicinal THC products; Sèche, which offers various branded ground and flower cannabis products; and Tasteology, a provider of THC-infused products. Jushi also trades OTC in the U.S. under the ticker JUSHF. Jushi announced in late August that its fourth medical cannabis dispensary in Virginia would open on Aug. 31. This is the company’s 35th retail outlet nationwide.
- Aurora Cannabis Inc.: Aurora Cannabis is a Canada-based company specializing in the production, distribution, and sale of medical cannabis products. Its brands include Aurora, Aurora Drift, Daily Special, MedReleaf, Whistler, and more. The company’s growth strategy targets medical cannabis markets across the globe as well as the U.S. hemp-derived CBD market and the Canadian recreational market. On Aug. 25, Aurora announced that it had acquired a controlling interest in Bevo AgTech Inc., a vegetable and ornamental plant company, through a subsidiary. Bevo operates 63 acres of greenhouses in Canada. Total consideration at the time of closing was roughly $45 million, with an additional payment of up to $12 million payable for up to three years following the acquisition depending on Bevo’s achieving various financial milestones.
- TerrAscend Corp.: TerrAscend is a Canada-based vertically integrated cannabis company with operations in Canada and the U.S. The company’s brands and business lines include Gage Cannabis, The Apothecarium, Ilera Healthcare, Kind Tree, Prism, State Flower, and Valhalla Confections. TerrAscend also trades OTC in U.S. markets under the ticker TRSSF. On Aug. 24, TerrAscend announced the closing of its acquisition of Michigan-based dispensary operator KISA Enterprises MI, LLC and related real estate assets. TerrAscend paid total consideration of $28.5 million for KISA. The acquisition includes six dispensary licenses.
- Trulieve Cannabis Corp.: Trulieve is a vertically integrated cannabis company with operations in eight states. The company’s brands include Cultivar Collection, Muse, Sweet Talk, and Momenta. Trulieve shares trade OTC under the ticker TCNNF. On Aug. 10, Trulieve reported earnings for Q2 2022. The company posted a net loss of $22.5 million compared with net income for the prior-year quarter as well as a 49% increase in revenue year over year (YOY). Net income was negatively impacted by charges associated with the acquisition of Harvest as well as other factors.
Fastest Growing Marijuana Stocks
These are the marijuana stocks with the highest YOY sales growth for the most recent quarter. Rising sales can help investors identify companies that are able to grow revenue organically or through other means and find growing companies that have not yet reached profitability. In addition, accounting factors that may not reflect the overall strength of the business can significantly influence earnings per share (EPS). However, sales growth can also be potentially misleading about the strength of a business because growing sales for money-losing businesses can be harmful if the companies have no plan to reach profitability.
|Fastest Growing Marijuana Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||Revenue Growth (%)|
|SNDL Inc. (SNDL)||2.78||0.7||2,250|
|OrganiGram Holdings Inc. (OGI)||1.09||0.3||82.8|
|Trulieve Cannabis Corp. (TRUL.CX)||CA$17.47||CA$3.2||54.6|
|Jushi Holdings Inc. (JUSH.CX)||CA$2.29||CA$0.4||48.6|
|Cronos Group Inc. (CRON)||3.10||1.2||47.6|
- SNDL Inc.: SNDL is a Canada-based cannabis producer. The company operates cultivation and processing facilities, retail stores, and also sells alcoholic beverages. Its cannabis brands include Sundial, Top Leaf, Palmetto, and Grasslands. At its annual and special shareholder meeting in late July, the company officially changed its name from Sundial Growers Inc. to SNDL Inc. It also implemented a share consolidation under which 10 pre-consolidation common shares were consolidated into one post-consolidation common share, effective July 25. The company announced on Aug. 22 that it would acquire cannabis product manufacturer The Valens Company Inc. (VLNS) for total consideration of about $138 million. The deal is expected to close in Jan. 2023.
- OrganiGram Holdings Inc.: Organigram Holdings is a Canada-based producer of medical and recreational cannabis. Its subsidiaries include Organigram Inc., Laurentian Organic Inc., and The Edibles and Infusions Corp., and its brands include Edison Cannabis Co., SHRED, and monjour, among others.
- Trulieve Cannabis Corp.: See above for company description.
- Jushi Holdings Inc.: See above for company description. Note that Jushi Holdings reported Q2 2022 earnings results for Q2 2022 on Aug. 29, 2022. Jushi’s ranking in the table above is based on its Q1 2022 earnings report.
- Cronos Group Inc.: Cronos Group is a Canada-based cannabis company. Its brand portfolio includes Spinach, Happy Dance, and PEACE+. Cronos reported Q2 2022 earnings results on Aug. 9. Its net loss narrowed significantly YOY as consolidated net revenue rose. Revenue was driven in particular by Israel net revenue, which more than tripled YOY.
Marijuana Stocks With the Best Performance
These are the marijuana stocks that had the smallest declines in total return over the past 12 months out of the companies we looked at.
|Marijuana Stocks With the Best Performance|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing Total Return (%)|
|Verano Holdings Corp. (VRNO.CX)||CA$8.40||CA$2.7||-44.2|
|4Front Ventures Corp. (FFNT.CX)||CA$0.69||CA$0.4||-47.5|
|Trulieve Cannabis Corp. (TRUL.CX)||CA$17.47||CA$3.2||-49.3|
|Cronos Group Inc. (CRON)||3.10||1.2||-53.0|
|Green Thumb Industries Inc. (GTII.CX)||CA$16.23||CA$3.8||-57.1|
|ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF (MJ)||N/A||N/A||-63.6|
- Verano Holdings Corp.: Verano Holdings is a vertically integrated, multi-state cannabis operator. The company produces a wide range of medical and adult-use cannabis products. It owns and operates 13 cultivation and manufacturing facilities and owns over 100 dispensaries in a number of states throughout the U.S. The company’s stock also trades OTC in the U.S. under the ticker VRNOF. On Aug. 19, Verano announced the opening of its 111th dispensary nationwide and its fourth location in Clarksburg, W.Va.
- 4Front Ventures Corp.: 4Front Ventures is a cannabis operator and retailer. It owns, operates, or manages cultivation and manufacturing properties in five states and employs over 600. Its stores attracted more than 1 million unique customers in 2021. 4Front also trades OTC under the symbol FFNTF. On Aug. 15, 4Front reported Q2 2022 earnings results. Its net loss widened slightly YOY as total revenues climbed. The company its operations in Massachusetts and California posted strong performance during the quarter.
- Trulieve Cannabis Corp.: See above for company description.
- Cronos Group Inc.: See above for company description.
- Green Thumb Industries Inc.: Green Thumb Industries is a cannabis retailer and consumer packaged products company. It markets products under brand names including Beboe, Dogwalkers, Doctor Solomon’s, Good Green, incredibles, and RYTHM. It has 77 open retail locations across 15 U.S. markets. Green Thumb stock also trades OTC under the ticker GTBIF.
Trends to Watch in Marijuana Stocks
Marijuana stocks have given investors a wild ride over the past few years, staging eye-watering rallies and substantial declines. Those who invest in this emerging sector should monitor these key trends as they will likely guide price direction in months and years ahead.
Financing: Most U.S. financial institutions avoid offering to fund cannabis companies as marijuana is still federally illegal, meaning lenders that provide loans could face possible prosecution. However, the Secure and Fair Enforcement Banking Act (SAFE)—which passed through the House in 2021—aims to address this by preventing the federal government from penalizing banks that offer financial services to the cannabis industry. Although the legislation has failed to gain support in the Senate, investors should monitor any amendments to the bill that could increase the chances of it gaining congressional approval.
Increasing Merger and Acquisition Activity: As of last year’s fourth quarter, $8.5 billion worth of merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions had closed in the sector, significantly higher than the $3 billion worth of deals in 2020 and $3.6 billion in 2019. Increasing dealmaking in the cannabis space indicates that institutional investors have growing confidence in the industry’s future.
Potential U.S. Legalization: While several cannabis legalization bills grace the halls of Congress, bipartisan support remains difficult to achieve, creating a large amount of uncertainty for industry participants. However, several leading Canadian operators, such as Cronos and Tilray, are banking on the U.S. cannabis market, with both companies entering into acquisition deals subject to its decriminalization south of the border.
Advantages of Marijuana Stocks
Despite the underwhelming performance of marijuana stocks over the past year amid an uncertain regulatory environment, the sector offers risk-taking investors significant growth potential. According to industry analysis firm MJBizDaily, U.S. cannabis sales will surpass $33 billion in 2022 before reaching $52 billion by the end of 2026. Moreover, the global cannabis market is expected to reach nearly $200 billion by 2028, up from $28 billion in 2021.
The comments, opinions, and analyses expressed herein are for informational purposes only and should not be considered individual investment advice or recommendations to invest in any security or to adopt any investment strategy. Though we believe the information provided herein is reliable, we do not warrant its accuracy or completeness. The views and strategies described in our content may not be suitable for all investors. Because market and economic conditions are subject to rapid change, all comments, opinions, and analyses contained within our content are rendered as of the date of the posting and may change without notice. The material is not intended as a complete analysis of every material fact regarding any country, region, market, industry, investment, or strategy.